What documents you need to verify your account
The entire account verification process is strict and this checklist can help.
Government-issued documents are mostly favoured for the process.
PROOF OF IDENTITY
- National ID card (front and back)
- Passport (photo and cover page)
- Driving license (photo, name and signature visible)
- Provisional license (front and back)
- Voter’s card (address must be visible)
- Armed forces ID card (front and back)
PROOF OF ADDRESS
- Household utility bill with your name.
- Bank passbooks, gas connection booklet, credit card statements that have your name and address. As a rule of thumb, ensure that these documents are not older than 3-6 months from the date of creating the account
- A local authority tax bill
Make sure that the details mentioned in the documents you are uploading are the same as those you entered during the account creation.
In other words, the operators will verify your account based on the information you provided. Any mismatch, your account verification may be unsuccessful.
It is very important that this information matches exactly!
How to verify your account
Getting verified at cricket betting sites and other betting sites is very easy.
To start with the process, you need to first upload the documents.
Once done, follow the on-screen instructions.
We’ve used Betway as an example below.
The steps mentioned may vary slightly from one betting site to another, but the principle remains the same.
Want to know more about this site? Check out our Betway India review.
- Take a picture of your identity proof (front-side and backside)
- Log into your sports betting account
- Upload the pictures of your ID
- Once uploaded, the verification process will begin
How long will it take to verify your betting account?
It can take anywhere between 24 to 48 hours and in some cases, even more.
The customer service team will notify you immediately if there are any issues so that you can get the account verification process going immediately.
Similarly, if the ID proof is valid and accepted, you will be notified too so you can go about betting, without worrying about a thing.
Step 1: Verify your identity
To do this faster, it is better to upload your Aadhaar card or PAN Card.
A passport is also a good option but if you are not too keen on using it, then the ones mentioned above are the way to go.
Step 2: ID uploaded successfully
Once you have uploaded these documents, click on “Submit” to continue.
Ensure that these documents are clear and in full view.
Step 3: Successful upload
Once your documents are successfully uploaded, the team will try verifying it within 24 hours.
You can continue to bet while this is happening.
Why account verification is important
These verifications have been put in place to keep the following in check:
- Gambling addiction: Many gambling addicts do not have the resource to place their bets and by undergoing a verification process, they are discouraged from betting even further.
- Underage gambling: These sports betting sites need to be compliant to responsible gambling and that includes negating underage players from betting on the site. Anyone below 18 years of age should not enter the arena.
- Money laundering: Since the transaction runs into lakhs of rupees and many national and international banks are a part of this process, it is important to maintain security for all members and avoid being a hotbed for money laundering.
Can you withdraw winnings before verifying your account?
No, you cannot withdraw money before verifying your account.
The only exception to this would be if you are using Bitcoin to withdraw winnings or other cryptocurrencies.
Betting sites take money-laundering laws very seriously and before making any sort of withdrawal, you must verify your account.
For example, Bet365, one of the biggest sports betting sites in the world.
Look at what they have to say about withdrawals possibly not going through on their site:
How do I know if it’s legitimate?
There are some betting sites out there that are scams – but most of them are 100% safe. One tip is to only play at betting sites listed here – we only review safe and trusted sites.
- Backed by gambling authority: If your betting site is backed by gambling authorities like the Malta Gaming Authority, Isle of Man, Curacao e-Gaming, then you are safe.
- Good site design: Creating a betting site UI is a tough task and not many have the patience to make it clean, efficient and responsive – especially the counterfeits.
- Fast customer support: The customer support of a legible site is always top-notch because it is one of the criteria gambling authority looks at before giving its seal of approval. So if your complaint or request is not going through, you can be well assured that your betting site is a fake.
Other factors include:
- The site is SSL encrypted
- It is committed to responsible gambling
- Review websites speak favourably about it
- It is part of the Gambling Commission, IBAS, and other similar bodies
In fact, these are among the few factors which we consider while answering the question, “Is this operator safe to play at?”
This is so important that we go through it in all of our reviews.
For example, in our 10CRIC review, we go into a lot of detail about these factors.
How to send the documents
You can easily verify your account online, without as much as leaving the comfort of your cushion.
All you need is a stable internet connection and a decent smartphone to take the picture of your identity card.
Once you have the picture, simply login to your account & visit the account verification page.
This is how to find it at 10CRIC:
Select the necessary document option from the page, upload the image and you now have successfully sent your documents to the operator for verifying your identity.
When to send the documents
You will be required to send the documents within 30 days of creating the account.
In some cases, it will happen when you make your first deposit or withdrawal.
In fact, it is worth noting that you will not be able to withdraw your winnings unless you verify your account.
Yes, that’s right – no matter how much you win, unless your account is verified, it won’t matter.
That’s why we strongly recommend you undergo the verification process the minute you sign up.
After all, how long can it take to upload your ID proof, Address Proof, and a copy of your bank statement/credit card statement?
About 5 minutes? Even less?
How your documents are handled
Betting sites have strict data policy rules and take customer verification and privacy very seriously.
Your personal information is 100% safe.
This is where you will find information on crucial topics like:
- What information they collect
- How they use this information
- Who they share the data with
- And many more.
They do this in a secure and safe manner, keeping your data protected.
Source of income check
Sports betting is not all just placing bets or winning money – it is also about betting in a safe and legal manner.
This is where the source of income proof comes into play.
It is also known as Source of Wealth (SOW) verification on some sites.
Why you need to send a source of income
Betting sites ask for proof of funds simply because the law asks them to.
They need to know that you have the funds to deposit and place bets.
The gambling authority lists these reasons for asking for your source of income:
- To stop betting sites being used for illegal activities like money laundering or supporting crime.
- To ensure that the players are following the rules of responsible gambling.
- To prevent underage and vulnerable players from getting exposed to gambling.
- To ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair manner.
Verifying payment methods used on your account
Only a few betting sites ask for the payment method to be verified.
The ones that do, require either of the following:
- Copy of the credit card/debit card used to make the payment on the site.
- Copy of the bank account statement of the bank that was used on the betting site.
These documents must not be older than 3-6 months of accessing the sports betting site.
Royal Panda has a detailed explanation on how to verify your payment methods:
Note that if you deposit a lot of money or win a lot of money, you may be required to verify your payment method again.
For example, if you end up winning a lot from today’s cricket betting tips but haven’t verified your account yet, you may not be able to enjoy even a single rupee of it.
That’s just the way it goes, son.
Why is it required to send documentation?
You cannot withdraw your winnings or have a good online betting experience unless you verify your account.
This documentation is required to ensure that:
- The online betting activities are fair and open to everyone.
- The funds are not linked to any crime, fraudulent activities, or harm.
- They are not linked to financing any of these illegal activities.
- The regulations from gaming bodies like Malta Gaming Authorities are followed.
Failure to follow any of these policies may lead to your betting account being suspended or closed
Think about the times when you created a Paytm account and were asked for verification. Ever thought of why? It is for precisely the same reason as this!
To put things into perspective, sites like Betway give you a 30-day period from the moment you sign up to verify your account. That’s how seriously they take this!
At the same time, it is important to look at this from the perspective of the online operators too. For them, it is a mandatory, regulatory requirement by the licensing body.
Check out what we mention in our LeoVegas Review on the subject:
Checking that you’re over 18
This is an important step for you and the sports betting site. At registration, players are asked to enter their personal details like name, date of birth and address.
The site’s team study the received documents to check for your details, including age. In case you missed out on a detail, the team will remind you to send the valid document.
If the verification does not go through even after repeated conversations, chances are that the site will terminate your account.
How to check if your documents are verified
All you have to do is wait for the team to respond to your mail with all your documents in place.
You will receive a notification/email from the customer service team, informing you whether the documents are verified or not.
If they are not verified, they will get in touch with you regarding what corrections need to be made.How to successfully get all documents verified
Many people have issues getting their documents verified so let’s look at how you can make get this done as fast as possible.
Other useful tips to get verified on the first try
The verification approval process is pretty exact and getting it in the first go can be tricky if you don’t know what you need.
Here’s what you can do:
Have your documents ready at all times
Knowing that you are going to bet, you must keep your documents at hand in case the site asks you to produce proof at any time.
Ensure that the details match
Name, date of birth, address, and citizenship – these are the four things that the betting site will look to verify.
You need to ensure that the information in the ID matches those provided by you.
Spellings, first names, last names, initials – anything and everything that goes on your ID should match the details you enter.
Make sure your photos are clear
Every approval process requires clear images of your documents.
Not having clear pictures of documents can slow down the approval process.
Ensure that they are in the jpg or png format and must not exceed 10MB in size.
Notarize your documents
This is the extra layer of assurance that may help speed up your verification process.
As the saying goes, ‘all things come to those who wait.’
You too have to be patient with your verification.
What to do if your verification is refused
8 out of 10 times, the betting site will tell you why your verification process was not approved.
However, it often ends up with a minor human error that compromises the entire process.
These small mistakes can be anything, ranging from forgetting to include your complete address, writing down an abbreviated name or using unclear images and documents scans.
If you are someone living in temporary accommodation, things might be a bit trickier for you.
Since this is not a permanent address, the betting sites are reluctant to pass you in your verification test.
However, it must be kept in mind that the verification processes are subject to rejection with no proper evidence either.