The latest Big Bash betting is making the Perth Scorchers strong favourites to beat the Melbourne Renegades when they take to the field on Sunday, January 3 at the Perth Stadium.
Both teams started very slowly but the Scorchers are fresh from a good win last time out, while the Renegades simply can’t get going.
So it’s an important match for two teams in desperate need of a win and we have all the best Scorchers v Renegades betting tips right here.
Renegades to win: why is this a good bet?
It may seem strange to tip up a side in desperately poor form but there are a couple of good reasons for it.
The first is that the Renegades really aren’t as bad as their results have suggested. At least in terms of the players available. Take skipper Aaron Finch, for example.
This is the Australia T20 captain we’re talking about, with a brilliant record in the Bash. Sooner or later things will start to fall in place for him and others and their fortunes have to change at some point.
It’s also the case that the Scorchers are hardly consistent. They may have beaten the Adelaide Strikers last time out but it was their first win this season. Incredibly, only one player has got to 50 (Mitch Marsh) in a game this tournament and only Marsh has passed the 100 run-mark.
So much for their star-studded batting line-up. They’ll now also miss the injured Ashton Agar for the group Stages at the very least, an important player who provides a good balance.
At the odds, it makes sense to take the gamble on the Renegades.
Why our hot bet is so hot
Shaun Marsh is one of those players who when he’s hot, he’s hot.
With 233 runs so far, he’s the second leading run-scorer in the tournament but of greater importance is his current form rather than his form for the whole competition.
He’s fresh from knocks of 67 and 87 and is the only player with three fifties to his name so far this Bash.
Given the Renegades have had so many problems with the bat this tournament, one has to go with the in-form man, even as a favourite. You’d think that if he can beat Finch, he should be their top bat.
Jhye Richardson Top Bowler: why is this a good bet?
- Top wicket-taker of the Scorchers by a country mile with 9 wickets.
- No-one else in the side has taken more than three.
- Career strike rate of 18.6 is excellent.
- Good record in this fixture with six wickets against the Renegades in the past.
- Brilliant economy rate of 6.38 means that if it’s a tie for wickets, he should win on economy rate.
Live Betting Tip
The Scorchers are fast starters with the bat as Livingstone, Roy and Munro aren’t players to die wondering.
So if they bat first and you want to back them to get over 160 first innings runs, the best time to do it is just when they start rather than during the innings. Because the good prices on over 160 will be gone if as expected, they start quickly.
Big Bash big stats
- Kane Richardson, Jason Behrendoff, and Andrew Tye all have over 10 wickets in this fixture with 13, 10, and 10 respectively.
- The two teams met earlier this season and Renegades won by 7 wickets with 21 balls to spare.
- Shaun Marsh, who used to play for the Scorchers, has 417 runs in this fixture, the most of any batsman in the game.
- Scorchers duo Jason Roy and Ashton Turner have been getting their runs quickly; they’re striking at 162 and 166.
- Mitch Marsh and Jhye Richardson have an excellent economy rate of 4.83 and 6.38.
- Nine different players have so far taken wickets for the Renegades.
Where to bet on it
So those are our Perth Scorchers v Melbourne Renegades tips for the game. If you’re after the best online betting sites, remember to read our reviews where we tell you which bookmakers we love and why.
Deposit ₹10,000 – get ₹10,000 EXTRA
- Dozens of cricket & kabaddi markets
- Accepts Paytm & G-Pay
- Betting App available
100% Welcome Bonus up to ₹2,500
- Focused on cricket for the Indian market
- Fast withdrawals with rupees
- Live streaming of matches