Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder Betting Tips & Predictions
The latest Big Bash betting has table-toppers the Sixers as favourites to beat the Thunder when they play on Friday, January 22 at 1.45 pm IST at the SCG in Sydney.
It’s the Sydney Derby but this one has even more spice to it than usual. The Thunder really need to win or else they’ll risk not even making the Playoffs after their strong start, while the Sixers have guaranteed a playoff place but would love to secure their Top 2 spot right now.
There’s a lot at stake and the best Sixers v Thunder betting tips are coming right up.
Today’s Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder winner prediction
|Sixers to win||1.7||10CRIC|
More Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder betting tips
|Toss winner: Thunder||1.83||10CRIC|
|Carlos Brathwaite Sixers Top Bowler||5.0||10CRIC|
OUR HOT BET
|Ben Cutting Thunder Top batsman||14.0||10CRIC|
Want daily updates for all games sent straight to your phone?
Subscribe to Bet India’s Telegram Channel for betting tips & winner predictions!
Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder H2H
Sixers to win: why is this a good bet?
The Sixers have been the best side in the tournament ever since they lost their first match. In Josh Philippe, they have the top run scorer of the tournament and in Dan Christian arguably the best all-rounder in the BBL so far, while all of their bowlers have made decent contributions, with Carlos Brathwaite and Steve O’Keefe among the best of them. Just about the one and only thing that went wrong for them is that Jason Holder went home and his replacement Jake Ball hasn’t really got going.
The Thunder started well but then had a few issues. Oliver Davies has been in poor form and key man Daniel Sams first missed games through concussion and will now miss this one and more through injury. They’re losing form just at the wrong time.
If you’re still not sure, it’s worth remembering the Sixers are 11-6 up over the years and that they beat the Thunder a week ago in this year’s edition.
Carlos Brathwaite Sixers Top Bowler: why is this a good bet?
- Team’s second-highest wicket-taker on 13 wickets, just one behind Steve O’Keefe.
- Has played the whole tournament so is used to the wickets.
- Advantage of bowling in the death overs.
- Huge amount of T20 experience.
- Seventh biggest price at 5.0; far too big a price for the man who’s their second-highest wicket-taker.
- Fresh from an excellent 2-12 last time out.
Why our hot bet is so hot
Ben Cutting has had a quiet tournament so far but he generally plays one blinder a tournament and this could be it.
Alex Hales and Sam Billings have been good of late but it’s not impossible that the Thunder lose fair few wickets batting first or are forced to go too aggressively batting second if they’re chasing a big score.
The edge we have at the huge odds of 14.0 is that Cutting could well bat a lot higher than usual.
He’s come in at seven most of the time but will at least bat at six because Daniel Sams isn’t playing. We know from his career strike rate of 149 that he doesn’t need too long at the crease to make an impact and if the Sixers’ excellent bowling line-up gets going on the Thunder batsmen, a quick 30 or 40 could be enough.
Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder live betting tip
If history is going to repeat itself, the Thunder can get off to a blistering start thanks to Usman Khawaja and Alex Hales. That’s what happened last time when the Sixers went big outsiders as Hales in particular was smashing it everywhere.
Once those two were out, the Sixers were in control for most of the game and ended up winning quite comfortably. So if you don’t want to back the Sixers as hot favourites, hope the Thunder bat first and get a decent start, and then back the Sixers as outsiders in live betting.
Big Bash big stats
- Despite being much worse off in the table, the Thunder actually have a much better net run rate than the Sixers.
- Despite being the top run scorer for the BBL, 14 other players have hit more sixes this tournament than Josh Philippe. However, no-one has hit more fours than his 46.
- Sixers have four bowlers with 10 or more wickets this season.
- The Thunder’s injured Daniel Sams has taken 10 wickets and scored 199 runs this season in nine games.
- The Thunder’s Oliver Davies has scored 2, 0 and 0 in his last three games.
Where to bet on today’s BBL game
So those are our Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder tips for the game.
If you’re after the best online betting sites, remember to read our reviews where we tell you which betting sites we love and why.
Deposit ₹10,000 – get ₹10,000 EXTRA
- Dozens of cricket & kabaddi markets
- Accepts Paytm & G-Pay
- Betting App available
100% Welcome Bonus up to ₹2,500
- Focused on cricket for the Indian market
- Fast withdrawals with rupees
- Live streaming of matches
100% Welcome Bonus up to ₹10,000
- Fast withdrawals with cryptocurrency
- Great 24/7 customer support
- Huge range of sports to bet on
Bet ₹1,000 – get a ₹3,000 Free Bet
- Accepts Indian payment methods
- Good selection of sports
- Amazing website design