The Indian Premier League 2021 on Thursday welcomed the first of its four playoffs team in Chennai Super Kings. The MS Dhoni-led outfit defeated Sunrisers Hyderabad to quash their hopes of a comeback and eliminate them from the competition.
Get the full story below.
Quick Stats from the game
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: 134-7
- Chennai Super Kings: 139-4
- Toss Winner: CSK, elected to field first
- Top Batsman: Ruturaj Gaikwad
- Top Bowler: Josh Hazlewood
- Man of the Match: Josh Hazlewood
Saha, the Sole Performer for Hyderabad
Finding themselves in a do-or-die situation, Sunrisers Hyderabad failed to deliver once again. Batting first, the opening order – with the exception of Wriddhiman Saha – got out for cheap.
Jason Roy left for 2, Kane Williamson got out at 11 while Priyam Garg could add only 7 runs. Dwayne Bravo and Josh Hazelwood saw to the dismantling of these three batters, leaving SRH at 66-3 in 10.5 overs.
Saha, who batted with heart and soul, appeared to be the team’s only hope of putting a respectable score but ended up falling in the 13th over. From that point on, it was a downhill journey for Hyderabad.
SRH Top Batsmen
- Wriddhiman Saha: 44 off 46; 1 4s, 2 6s
- Abhishek Sharma: 18 off 13; 1 4s, 1 6s
CSK Top Bowlers
- Josh Hazelwood: 3-24, 4 overs
- Dwayne Bravo: 2-17, 4 overs
Abhishek Sharma and Abdul Samad added 18 runs each before Hazelwood got them too. Towards the end, Rashid Khan’s 17 off 13 added some additional runs on the board – but for a team like Chennai Super Kings, it was a small total to chase.
Sunrisers Hyderabad ended the inning at 134-7.
Gaikwad, du Plessis Propel to CSK to Playoffs
Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis opened for Chennai Super Kings and stitched a wonderful partnership of 75 runs. By the time Gaikwad got out, CSK were already at 75-1 in 10.1 overs, leaving them with plenty of time and wickets to get the job done.
Moeen Ali and Ambati Rayudu scored 17 runs each while Dhoni’s 14 off 11 got them through to the finish line. The former Indian skipper scored a six in the second-last delivery of the inning to end the match in style.
CSK Top Batsmen
- Ruturaj Gaikwad: 45 off 38; 4 4s, 2 6s
- Faf du Plessis: 41 off 36; 3 4s, 2 6s
SRH Top Bowlers
- Jason Holder: 3-27, 4 overs
- Rashid Khan: 1-27, 4 overs
Suresh Raina was the only batsman who got out in single digits (2 off 3).
All in all, it was a comfortable chase for Chennai Super Kings, who now lead the IPL 2021 table with 18 points in 11 played. They have qualified for the playoffs while Sunrisers Hyderabad are out of contention for the trophy.
The BEST Betting Site in India!
- Cricket & Kabaddi Betting
- Fast Paytm Withdrawals
- Local Indian Brand
The SAFEST Betting Site in the World!
- Focused on cricket for the Indian market
- Fast withdrawals with rupees
- Live streaming of matches