The latest Big Bash betting has made the Sydney Thunder the favourites to beat the Melbourne Renegades when they clash at the Carrara Oval on Friday, January 1.
For the Thunders, it’s a chance to build on an excellent start that has now seen them win four in a row and occupy second spot, just one-off city rivals, the Sixers.
For the Renegades this is already feeling like drinking in the last-chance saloon if they’re making the Playoffs. They have just the one solitary win to show for their efforts and need to start winning or else they’ll be facing yet another Group Stage exit.
The best Renegades v Thunder betting tips are up next.
Thunder to win: why is this a good bet?
There are two things you need as a successful T20 side. To have great players and to play well as a team. That means anything from good fielding to good bowling changes, batsmen knowing their roles, and being able to manage tight situations.
The Thunder have both, which explains why they’re doing so well. Their’s is an excellent batting unit with class acts everywhere in the Top 6 and they clearly have set gameplans where they take risks because they know they have plenty more batting still to come.
The Renegades have the players but not the tactics or game management. Which of course explains why they’re in the position they are as well: rock bottom.
Add the fact that the Thunder absolutely destroyed Aaron Finch’s side a few days ago and you can see why the Thunder have to be the pick.
Why our hot bet is so hot
This is a good example of the bookmakers perhaps not realising what a good bowler Peter Hatzoglou is. In fact, it seems he’s so unknown that the great ESPNCRICINFO website doesn’t even have a proper profile for him yet.
He’s a slightly strange sort of bowler in that he’s extremely tall and bowls leg break googlies most of the time.
But he’s extremely effective and in five games this season- his first five ever in the Big Bash – he’s already taken seven wickets as batsmen try to work him out. For the Renegades only the big name Kane Richardson has taken more with nine.
But then again, our man Hatzoglou is 5.0 and Richardson is 3.2 so it’s an easy decision to make.
Daniel Sams man of the match: why is this a good bet?
- Has taken seven wickets against the Renegades in the past.
- Capable of making a big impact with the ball but also with the bat.
- Has already taken seven wickets in five games this season.
- Decent economy rate of 8.54 this season.
- Has already won one man of the match award this Big Bash
Live Betting Tip
With the exception of the previous match, the Thunder have generally lost an early wicket. So if you don’t want to go with the Thunder before the match starts, you can wait till they start batting (whether first or in the chase) and hope they lose an early wicket so you can back them at a slightly bigger price. With the batting talent they have, they should be able to recover from having a man out early.
Big Bash big stats
- Renegades 9-3 up on head to head.
- Renegades have won six batting first and three batting second.
- Thunder have three bowlers with an economy rate of under 7 for the season, which is excellent: Milne, Cutting and Sangha.
- The Thunder have hit five fifties so far, Callum Ferguson getting three of them. Sams and Hales got the others.
- The Renegades have hit four fifties. Shaun Marsh has two, Harper and Rossouw one each.
- The Renegades have so far used 12 different bowlers.
Where to bet on it
So those are our Melbourne Renegades v Sydney Thunder tips for the game. If you’re after the best online betting sites, remember to read our reviews where we tell you which bookmakers we love and why.
Deposit ₹10,000 – get ₹10,000 EXTRA
- Dozens of cricket & kabaddi markets
- Accepts Paytm & G-Pay
- Betting App available
100% Welcome Bonus up to ₹2,500
- Focused on cricket for the Indian market
- Fast withdrawals with rupees
- Live streaming of matches