The latest Big Bash betting has the Thunder as marginal favourites to beat the Hobart Hurricanes when they go to battle on Monday, January 18, start time 8.15 am IST at Canberra.
It’s a big game in the context of the season with the Thunder closing in on a Top 2 finish and the Hurricanes in desperate need of points as they’ve lost their way and have gone from table-toppers to struggling to make the playoffs.
Up next is what we make of the game and the best Thunder v Hurricanes betting tips.
Want daily updates for all games sent straight to your phone?
Subscribe to Bet India’s Telegram Channel for betting tips & winner predictions!
Thunder to win: why is this a good bet?
The Thunder have been good all tournament and look a side who can easily go on to make the final, or better. They’re well-balanced with their star opening pair of Khawaja and Hales one of the best in the tournament and the pair of all-rounders- Cutting and Sams- providing firepower at the death thanks to their ability to clear the boundary.
With the ball, they have the pace bowlers and two canny spinners in Green and Sangha, so lots to like.
The Hurricanes simply can’t match them with the ball and that may just be where the game is won and lost. If the Hurricanes bat first they’d need at least 180, which they may not get. And even then they’d struggle to defend that against this batting line-up.
If they bowl first you’d expect the Thunder to get around 170 at least, and then scoreboard pressure and a couple of wickets should do the rest.
Either way, the Thunder look a better all-round outfit and should win here against a Hobart side who have lost their last three. For good measure, the Thunder won this fixture comfortably when they played a few days ago.
Daniel Sams man of the match: why is this a good bet?
- Fresh from a 50 and two wickets last time out.
- Often bats at six so plenty of time to get runs.
- Sky-high strike rate of 186 with the bat makes him a game-changer.
- Has already taken 10 wickets.
- Has already been MOM once this season.
- Good odds as the sixth favourite for such a good player
Why our hot bet is so hot
D’Arcy Short has had a quiet tournament by his standards but he’s one of the BBL’s best batsmen, a real class act on these Australian wickets that have plenty of pace and bounce.
He’s available at big odds of 4.0 after suffering a dip in form but he’s too good a player to be that price. On his day he can get to 50 in no time and we’ve seen that here in Canberra, opening the batting is the best place to bat.
The only real rivals are Dawid Malan and Ben McDermott because no-one else seems to be in any form for them. And Short has scored 97 against them in the past so will be confident of a repeat performance, which would see us home and dry.
Hurricanes v Thunder live betting tip
The Thunder could go big here if they bat first with Hales, Khawaja, Billings and Sams just some of the batsmen in fine form. The Hurricanes aren’t the best with the ball so backing the Sydney side to get at least 175 first up on live betting looks the way to go.
Big Bash big stats
- Hurricanes have lost their last three.
- Sams and Hales have hit 30 sixes between them so far this BBL.
- The Thunder’s Tanveer Sangha has a remarkable strike rate with the ball of 12.0.
- There has never been a century in this fixture but D’Arcy Short once got 97.
- No Hurricanes batsman got to 50 when these two met earlier in the competition, the Thunder winning by 39 runs.
- Remarkably, D’Arcy Short, an occasional bowler, is the top wicket-taker in this fixture with 10.
Where to bet on today’s BBL game
So those are our Sydney Thunder v Hobart Hurricanes tips for the game. If you’re after the best online betting sites, remember to read our reviews where we tell you which bookmakers we love and why.